Who pays for the line extension for a new service?

Columbia REA has a line extension policy that specifies how the costs are paid for. Depending on the size and type of service the Co-op will pay for a portion of the total costs. If the estimated construction costs exceed the line extension allowance the member must pay the difference. The member has a choice to pay all the cost upfront or they can be amortized over 10 years and a monthly payment will be added to the electric bill each month.

What happens to poles that are removed from service and can I have one?

Our line crew evaluates each pole that is removed. If the pole is in acceptable condition it will be returned to stock. If the pole is not returned to the Co-op stock then it can be given to an existing member on-site or it will be hauled to one of our service centers and made available for any member upon request. Any used poles will be cut to maximum lengths of 12 feet, with no exceptions

What should I do if my power goes out?

You should check your own electrical equipment for a blown fuse or tripped breaker first. If no problem is found then call the Co-op at (509) 526-4041 to report an outage at any time 24 hours per day. We have local employees that will assist you in restoring the power. When you call please have the name the service is in, the address, and a phone number you can be contacted at available. Remember that many of the new cordless telephones will not work when there is a power outage.