The Last Water Heater You Will Ever Buy
Introducing the Most Efficient Electric Water Heater on the Planet…
The Marathon electric water heater offers these advantages:
- Technologically advanced design is clearly differentiated from short lived steel water heater.
- It's the most durable water heater made, with a warranty to match
- EnvirofoamTM insulation is completely free of CFC and HCFC ozone depleting gases. Marathon leads the way in environmental friendly manufacturing, design and operation.
- Tank comes complete with a factory installed vacuum relief valve, 3/4" brass nipple fro easy, professional installations.
- Replaceable brass drain valve
- All wiring run in conduit for easy control wiring
- Seamless blow molded polybutylene tank with no anode rod required for a corrosion free life
- High temperature, commercial-grade dip tubes for greater durability
- The filament wound fiberglass outer tank is designed to be more flexible and withstand more pressure than conventional tanks
- Our unique high temperature dip tube is offset from the concave bottom, creating a "whirlpool effect" which helps prevent sediment build-up
- Every tank includes 4' of pipe insulation for even greater savings.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much more is the Marathon than a conventional water heater?
The smaller Marathon units will cost approximately 2 to 3 times more than a basic steel water heater of the same size. That is not a real comparison though, as you are comparing a lifetime warranty product that is super insulated, against a 5 or 6 year warranty product with minimal insulation. Remember that the Marathon tank will not leak or rust; while your steel tank will eventually fail and you will be installing another tank soon....it's just a matter of time. The Installation process for the Marathon is no more and sometimes less than for steel units.
Larger units such as the 85 and 105 gallon models are typically the same cost or less than short-lived steel units of the same size. Our manufacturing process is technologically advanced and very efficient so our incremental cost between our smaller tanks and our larger ones is much smaller than that of steel tanks. We are currently offering a $200 rebate on Marathon the 50 gallon and 85 gallon water heaters for Columbia REA members, when installed at a location we serve.
What are the size dimensions of the Marathon Water Heaters?
We stock the 50-gallon, 85-gallon models at Columbia REA. The 50-gallon model measures 24" x 67" and weighs 100 lbs. The 85-gallon model measures 28" x 71" and weighs 124 lbs. There are other sizes available by special order. Marathon water heaters are the preferred water heater tank for geothermal installations.
Is it worth more than a conventional water heater?
Yes. Typically it will pay for itself in energy savings over a conventional water heater. The Marathon will save you energy year after year and after five years it won't have to be replaced. The cost of the water heater is usually only half your cost however. Installation is the other cost and you won't have to pay for that and another water heater in five years. The other thing people often overlook is the damage to their floor and belongings when their cheaper water heater fails when they least expect it. These failures and leaks often happen when you are not at home.
Why should I bother, my last water heater lasted 20 years?
That's impressive, but not uncommon for older water heaters. The older water heaters purchased in the 70's and 80's had much thicker steel and more porcelain than today's units. Because manufacturers have cut so many costs from the manufacturing process, most steel water heaters made today will not last much longer than their warranty. It's much like the automobile; the thickness of the metal on today's units is very thin compared to older models.
I am building a new house, wouldn't gas be cheaper?
Not necessarily. Although gas may be slightly cheaper, gas water heaters are more expensive than electric units and the venting now required for safety can be quite expensive. The thing to remember is that electric water heaters are nearly 100% efficient, as all of the heat generated stays in the unit instead of some going up the flue. Also, the Marathon is like a Thermos® in that it keeps the water hot once you have made it. It's the most efficient water heater made.
Many people are now building tighter, more efficient homes than they used to and indoor air quality is becoming a concern. Any fossil fuel water heater can be a problem with carbon monoxide, NOX, and other pollutants needing to be vented. You can eliminate this issue entirely, however, with the energy-efficient, electric Marathon water heater. The price of propane and natural gas has recently been climbing and nobody really knows for sure where it will go. While electric rates have gone up slightly, it seems to be more stable and defined.
For more information, stop by Columbia Rural Electric Cooperative in Dayton or Walla Walla, or call (800) 642-1231.