Columbia Rural Electric Association (REA) is proud to recognize 3 local class of 2021 High School seniors with 4-year scholarships to continue their education at the college level.
The Clark A. Brewington Memorial Scholarship is in the amount of $1,500. 2 additional academic scholarships are in the amount of $1,000. Each scholarship is renewable for up to 4 years.
A volunteer committee made up of Columbia REA members evaluated 9 applicants from High Schools within the Columbia REA service area. Students were asked to submit a 500-word essay, transcripts, and letters of recommendation from school and community leaders.
We are also delighted to announce this year’s recipient of the $2,500 Jeff Meredith Scholarship, named in honor of former Columbia REA lineman Jeff Meredith.
This scholarship is awarded to 1 qualifying applicant per year, who is enrolled or will be enrolled in a recognized Electrical Lineworker Program (ELP).
Congratulations to this year’s group of impressive and inspiring young people!
$2,500 Jeff Meredith Scholarship Recipient
Koby Zaharias — Declo High School (Declo, ID)
- 4H and FFA
- Boy Scouts of America
- Volunteers at local church
- Baseball at Declo High School, American Legion
- Enjoys motocross biking, hiking, and fixing up cars and other heavy machinery
- Will attend Northwest Lineman College
This scholarship means a lot to me. My grandpa has been a huge part of my life, and he has been a lineman his entire life. This scholarship will allow me to follow in his footsteps.
$1,500 Clark A. Brewington Memorial Scholarship Recipient
Benjamin Norris — Walla Walla High School
- Volunteer: Blue Mountain Humane Society, Walla Walla Library, Walla Walla Presbyterian Church
- Walla Walla High School Honor Scholar Athlete: Baseball, Basketball, Swimming, Trombone, Walla Walla Symphony Youth Orchestra
- National Honor Society
- Will attend Haverford College (Haverford, PA)
I’m grateful to be part of this community that supports and encourages me like this. I am committed to representing the values of this community in my life going forward.
$1,000 Academic Scholarship Recipients
Patrick Jones — DeSales High School
- Eagle Scout, Boy Scouts of America
- Team Captain, DeSales Track and Field
- Drums, DeSales Pep Band (also plays piano, guitar, bass, and trumpet)
- Volunteer: Christian Aid Center, Walla Walla Catholic Parishes
- Students for Life Vice President
- Will attend Washington State University
My sincerest gratitude goes out to all who were involved in the selection process as well as the company at large, who considered me worthy of this honor. These funds will greatly aid me in pursuing a pre-medical path at Washington State University.
Drake Scott — DeSales High School
- President, Mill Creek Wranglers 4H Club
- Captain of the Football team
- Varsity basketball and baseball
- Volunteer: Christ Lutheran Church, Challenger Football Camp (students with disabilities)
- Saxophone, DeSales Pep Band
- National Honor Society
- Will attend Montana State University
I really appreciate being selected to receive this scholarship. It means a lot to me. I work quite a bit during the summer to earn money for college, and this will really help me and my family pay for my college tuition.